Whispers Estate is located in Mitchell, Indiana and has been one of our favorite haunted locations to investigate over the years due to the various types of paranormal activity that we have been able to capture.
Whispers Estate History
The earliest records show that Whispers Estate was built in the year of 1894.
Whispers Estate first residents were Dr. George and Sarah White. Various historical records show that its second owners were Dr. John and Sarah Gibbons, who purchased the haunted estate in either 1899 or 1901. Not being able to have children of their own, Dr. John and Jessie Gibbons reportedly adopted abandoned/orphaned children. 10-year old girl named Rachael who was one of their adopted/orphaned children met a tragic fate on Christmas Eve morning and is still believed to haunt the Estate. On Christmas Eve, she accidentally started a fire in the front parlor, being badly burned, and died 2 days later in one of the upstairs bedrooms.
Another death was that of a 10-month baby, Elizabeth. Elizabeth died in the master bedroom of unknown causes. Many paranormal investigators, and visitors report smell of baby powder, and can hear her cries that echo throughout the house.
Jessie Gibbons would later die, the master bedroom died after a fight with double-pneumonia. Guests sleeping in that room often awake to labored breathing and coughing. Some even report feeling as if someone is sitting on their chest. The most common paranormal activity in this room is the closet doorknob will frequently jiggle for a few moments, stop suddenly, and the closet door will pop open. The maximum reported count for repeatable occurrences is 5 within a couple minutes.
Dr. Gibbons was a prominent doctor in town, having his office in the 1st floor rooms in the house. Given the time period and medical field, it is likely many patients died there during his practice of ~26 years.
Stories of subsequent owners/occupants suggest others have encountered their own demise, such as a gentlemen in the 50s/60s that died in the upstairs bathroom, a young boy that died from falling down the front staircase.
In 2006, The previous owner bought the house after being vacant for a few years. During its restoration, strange activity started to occur. Activity in the house continued, and even increased, subsequently earning the name ‘Whispers Estate’ after guests repeatedly reported hearing disembodied voices whispering in their ears.
There are supposedly 4 graves in the backyard, not including, what psychics have called, a pit-grave which they say contain amputated limbs, internal organs, aborted fetuses, etc…
Paranormal Activity at Whispers Estate
- There is reportedly a portal/vortex which runs up through the house from the front parlor into the 3rd floor room/attic. the room in the attic is said to be the heart of the house. Guests that are brave enough to sleep in this 3rd floor room report horrible nightmares and sometimes hear something trying to get in the room via the door (door knob jiggling).
- Visitors have reported sighting a shadow, which is now called ‘Big Black’, an entity which psychics says ‘is not of this world’. While most commonly encountered in the doctor’s rooms, it has been seen throughout the house.
- Guests have experienced earthquake-like tremors while in Doctor’s bathroom… No… not ‘those kinds’ of tremors… we’re referring to tremors of a paranormal origin.
- EVP sessions have revealed many entities in the house at any given time, Many young women have reported hearing Dr Gibbons whisper in their ears, as well sometimes grabbing/gropping them.
- Guests claim to see the beds/couches visible shake, while still others sleeping on beds and couches have reported having them shake violently…..
- Sometimes, upon leaving the servant’s quarters, just after the last person exists the room, the solid, heavy, wooden door slams with unrestrained force by unseen presence.
- Pleasant smells of baby power drift throughout the house, but the scent of pungent cologne/aftershave, cigar/tobacco, rancid meat/cabbage, dirty medical bandages, and more are not uncommon.
Founder and Paranormal Investigator for livescifi.tv, I started the world’s first LIVE online paranormal show.